Saint Francis of Assisi (Giovanni Francesco di Bernardone; 1181/1182 – October 3, 1226)
[2] was a
Catholic deacon and
preacher. He also was the founder of the Order of Friars Minor, more commonly known as the
Franciscans. He is known as the
patron saint of
animals, the
environment and one of the two patrons of
Italy (with
Catherine of Siena), and it is customary for Catholic
churches to hold ceremonies blessing animals on his
feast day of 4 October. The term
Franciscan is most commonly used to refer to members of
Catholic religious orders, founded by
Saint Francis of Assisi. As well as
Roman Catholic there are also small
Old Catholic and
Anglican Franciscan communities. It can also be applied to ideals he inspired in many movements in the modern age.
READ THE LEGEND OF THE THREE COMPANIONS
Thomas of Celano (
Italian:
Tommaso da Celano; c. 1200 – c. 1260-1270) was an
Italian friar of the
Franciscans (Order of Friars Minor), a poet, and the author of three
hagiographies about
Saint Francis of Assisi.
_____________________________________________________________
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_GeQKqZ2E&feature=related]
_____________________________________________________________

This little church was given around 1208 to
St. Francis by the Abbot of
St. Benedict of
Monte Subasio, on condition of making it the mother house of his religious family. It was in bad condition, laying abandoned in a wood of oak trees. He restored it with his own hands.
Porziuncola, also called
Portiuncula (in Latin) or
Porzioncula, is a small church in the
frazione of
Santa Maria degli Angeli, situated about 4 kilometers from
Assisi,
Umbria (central Italy). It is the place from where the Franciscan movement started. The name Porziuncola (meaning “small portion of land”) was first mentioned in a document from 1045, now in the archives of the
Cathedral of San Rufino, Assisi.
___________________________________________________________
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPjdEOKsVY]
__________________________________________________________________
Santa Maria degli Angeli is a
frazione of the
comune of
Assisi in the
Province of Perugia,
Umbria, central
Italy. It stands at an elevation of 218 metres above sea level. At the time of the
Istat census of
2001 it had 6665 inhabitants,
[1] and is located c. 4 km south from Assisi. The name of the city was used by the Spanish Franciscan missionaries as the name of
Los Angeles, now one of the largest cities of the
United States.
____________________________________________________________

It is home to the
Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, which includes the
Porziuncola, the most sacred place of the
Franciscan Order of the
Roman Catholic Church. St.
Francis of Assisi himself died here. The
Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli (Saint Mary of the Angels) is a church situated in the plain at the foot of the hill of
Assisi, Italy, in the
frazione of
Santa Maria degli Angeli. The basilica was constructed between 1569 and 1679 enclosing the 9th century little church, the
Porziuncola, the most sacred place for the Franciscans. It was here that the young
Francis of Assisi understood his vocation and renounced the world in order to live in poverty among the poor and thus started the
Franciscan movement.
The most prominent group is the
Order of Friars Minor (commonly called simply the "Franciscans"). They seek to follow most directly the manner of life the Saint led. This Order—actually divided among three separate groups—is a
mendicant religious
order of men tracing their origin to
Francis of Assisi. The three separate groups, each considered a
religious order in its own right, are the
Observants, most commonly simply called "Franciscan friars," the
Capuchins, and the
Conventual Franciscans. They all live according to a body of regulations known as "The Rule of St. Francis".
_____________________________________________________________
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI1Gst7pEqc&feature=related]
_____________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________
Saint Francis of Assisi
Saint Francis of Assisi (1182-1226), was an Italian mystic and preacher, who founded the Franciscans. Born in Assisi, Italy and originally named Giovanni Francesco Bernardone, he appears to have received little formal education, even though his father was a wealthy merchant. As a young man, Francis led a worldly, carefree life. Following a battle between Assisi and Perugia, he was held captive in Perugia for over a year. While imprisoned, he suffered a severe illness during which he resolved to alter his way of life. Back in Assisi in 1205, he performed charities among the lepers and began working on the restoration of dilapidated churches. Francis's change of character and his expenditures for charity angered his father, who legally disinherited him. Francis then discarded his rich garments for a bishop's cloak and devoted the next three years to the care of outcasts and lepers in the woods of Mount Subasio.
For his devotions on Mount Subasio, Francis restored the ruined chapel of Santa Maria degli Angeli. In 1208, one day during Mass, he heard a call telling him to go out into the world and, according to the text of Matthew 10:5-14, to possess nothing, but to do good everywhere. Upon returning to Assisi that same year, Francis began preaching. He gathered round him the 12 disciples who became the original brothers of his order, later called the First Order; they elected Francis superior. In 1212 he received a young, well-born nun of Assisi, Clare, into Franciscan fellowship; through her was established the Order of the Poor Ladies (the Poor Clares), later the Second Order of Franciscans. It was probably later in 1212 that Francis set out for the Holy Land, but a shipwreck forced him to return. Other difficulties prevented him from accomplishing much missionary work when he went to Spain to preach to the Moors. In 1219 he was in Egypt, where he succeeded in preaching to, but not in converting, the sultan. Francis then went on to the Holy Land, staying there until 1220. He wished to be martyred and rejoiced upon hearing that five Franciscan friars had been killed in Morocco while carrying out their duties. On his return home he found dissension in the ranks of the friars and resigned as superior, spending the next few years in planning what became the Third Order of Franciscans, the tertiaries.
In September 1224, after 40 days of fasting, Francis was praying upon Monte Alverno when he felt pain mingled with joy, and the marks of the crucifixion of Christ, the stigmata, appeared on his body. Accounts of the appearance of these marks differ, but it seems probable that they were knobby protuberances of the flesh, resembling the heads of nails. Francis was carried back to Assisi, where his remaining years were marked by physical pain and almost total blindness. He was canonized in 1228. In 1980, Pope John Paul II proclaimed him the patron saint of ecologists. In art, the emblems of St. Francis are the wolf, the lamb, the fish, birds, and the stigmata. His feast day is October 4.
Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh
READ MORE